Thursday, February 19, 2015

Starfleet's Newest Cadet!

That would be myself: Cadet VelvetKey!

I've been talking about the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup group on Ravelry.  One of the other NQFY (Not Quite First Year) students named Becktrek also mentioned that there was a similar Star Trek group!


Their current tour of duty is also underway, so folks like me that join up but miss the enlistment period are taken on as cadets at Starfleet Academy.  We post all of our missions in a single, different thread, and we don't earn points for our ships.

But we do get assigned to ships for role-play and funsies!

Thus, I am Cadet VelvetKey of the U.S.S. Zimmermann!

(That's the header I have to put at the top of all of missions.)

The very first project I did for the SFAC was my "Brig" challenge, which is just like Detention at Hogwarts: finishing an older project you didn't start in the current month.

I had to have it done for a weekend vacation coming up in early March, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping.  However, every time you turn in a mission (just like Hogwarts) you have to provide an explanation of how it fits the prompt (or just tell an amusing story that would totally take place in the Star Trek universe).

Here's the posts I did for the Brig:

VelvetKey does her best to straighten to attention in front of the commodore, with her writing utensil still in her mouth.
Commodore, might I ask a question? Are prisoners in the Brig only eligible for rehabilitation if they were originally part of a mission? You see, I have this little side study I was working on before I enrolled at the Academy…a study of probability theory and the significance of the number twenty…and I thought I might see if some time in the cooler would help its…uhm…propensity to fall apart?
Thank you for your time!
She blushes and sticks her stylus in the messy bun atop her head.

 Followed by:

Good morning instructors! I am turning in a Brig request.
Cadet VelvetKey, U.S.S. Zimmermann
As part of a study prior to my enrollment in Starfleet Academy, I was studying probabilities, the form of the icosahedron, and the significance of the number twenty. I thought to do so by obtaining twenty of the alien lifeform triangulus crocheticus and synthesizing the exact conditions it needed to achieve cellular bonding into the icosahedron form. However, I was unprepared for the mischievous nature of these lifeforms, and several escaped before I could complete the final twenty-sided form. I confined the ones I had to the brig, while rounding up the others. Finally, I recovered the remaining creatures yesterday and was able to finish my experiment:


Now that the lifeforms have stabilized in their new configuration, I am requesting their release from the Brig; I have a technician friend in Virginia who is looking forward to the second phase of this study, so I will forward the icosahedron to him with permission.
Thank you for your time, instructors.
Now, there are no badges for the Starfleet Fiber Arts Corps, but I'd get to advance in rank if I got enough projects done.  I should have the opportunity in May to sign up to be on a ship, but for now, I'll keep working on the list!  

(Number 23 and counting down!  I'm gonna need a new list!)

No comments:

Post a Comment